Home

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Morality Compass


No body can say that they have high standard when it comes to their morality. I myself cannot say I am the moral one. I am not a saint nor I have the intention to be one but I have also my own standard when it comes to morality. I guess each of us have their own standard and that there is also the standard for the standard morality if you catch my drift. Let me give you one great example... as human beings we believe that killing another person is bad. Whether you are a Christian, Jew, Buddist or any other religion killing is against our human nature. Now that's what I call the morality norm. Lets go to a little controversial one... gays and lesbians should be allowed to legally marry their partners. Now that would make you wonder and reflect on the issue. Is it morally correct? Personally, I believe they have the right to be legally married as all other human beings have. It doesn't matter who they are in love with but what matters is that they love one another enough to promise each other they will be together forever. Right? Some people may or may not agree with me on this matter and thats where we draw the line. Each person has their own opinion on this topic based on their religious belief or just plain "morality compass".

Morality compass is where you search your feelings. You know how a compass always points to the North? Comparing that, its like your morality compass is always pointing you to the right direction. Is this right or wrong? Do I trully believe that I can live with this decision I am going to make? Its not about religion. It is about how you feel. Will I hurt someone for making that particular decision? Will I be able to inspire other people to do good things? Am I stepping on other peoples' dreams to get what I want? Those are just a few questions that you must ask yourself if you want to find your morality compass. If you do things against the standard norm but still believes that you are right. If you can live with that decisions without feeling uncomfortable or guilty. When you don't care how others feel in the things that you do. You don't care if you hurt someone in the process of getting what you want in life. And you don't care about others but yourself. Then it means you have no morality compass at all.

Believe it or not, there are people like that in this world. I have met a few who doesn't even know that they are without morality compass. How did they become like that? I trully dont know. But somehow I symphatize with them. For one thing they don't have any feelings at all. In everything they do, its just like a robot. They do everything automatically. They sing the song but they don't know the meaning of the words. They dance step by step to the music but they don't know how to sway to the tune. They eat food but they don't know the taste. They pick up the flowers but not bother smelling them. They draw the picture without color in them. Its like blank pages of a book. What kind of life is that? A life lacking the essense. I pity them. They don't know the value of family. They don't know the meaning of friendship. And they don't know the feeling of being loved and be loved by a person.

How about you? Do you have a morality compass?

No comments:

Post a Comment